Name Change After Divorce

Many women clients ask me can I change my name after my divorce and men ask me can I make her stop using my name.

The law and answer are both simple. Upon the granting of a divorce the ex-wife has the option in her sole discretion to resume the use of her maiden name or prior name. The ex-husband cannot make her stop using his last name nor can he insist that she do so. The ex-wife will decide if she is more comfortable for whatever reasons work, personal or otherwise which name she will use or resume the use of after the divorce is final. While the divorce is still pending there is no legal authority to resume the use of her maiden or prior name if she adopted her husband's last name.